The spirit of our business model.
Our underwriting business model is built upon the principle that we cannot grow our business faster than we can add the right people. That’s where you fit in.
We seek out niche opportunities where underwriting leaders can drive our growth strategy.
- We recruit proven underwriting talent to:
- Grow existing products
- Expand RLI’s product portfolio
- We focus on new product opportunities:
- Underwriting and product expertise in a new line or market for RLI
- Acquisition of companies
- Joint ventures
Niche opportunities are those that allow for highly specialized underwriting talent, technology or distribution.
Experience our entrepreneurial culture — leverage the strength of our proven success.
RLI is looking for a certain kind of underwriting leader, a certain kind of organization. Each of our product groups is led by results-oriented executives who exhibit strong entrepreneurial tendencies. These select few join RLI for the chance to run a book of business in less bureaucratic environment where intelligent risk-taking is embraced and the financial rewards shared. And with RLI’s 12 straight years of below 100 combined ratios, historically it’s been a very large financial reward.
Everyday, our product groups leverage the strengths of RLI. These strengths include our technology, existing relationships with various distribution channels, our underwriting talent, and our reinsurance relationships.
RLI is looking for:
- Bolt-on acquisitions that supplement existing products
- Companies that provide a unique entry-point to a new product line
- Focused targets operating in only a few main specialty products
- The ability to perpetuate existing underwriting talent
- Insurance companies; MGAs that can be converted to an underwriting business model
- A proven track record, or an opportunity to leverage RLI’s track record
- Companies that can support RLI’s continued ability to deliver sub-100 combined ratios in all market cycles
- Companies with premium volume generally in the $20 million to $250 million range
Learn more about RLI's acquisition strategy.